Sunday, October 09, 2005

Juvenile taut or future best saleswoman?

Juvenile taut or future best saleswoman?
We had to walk along a wooden walkway that was supposed to lead to the tour buses. Once out in the open area, we just had to do a left turn and head to the other side of the canal. Along this covered walk way, there were many people hawking jewellery, handicrafts and all sorts of souvenirs. A wooden set of chopsticks and place holders caught my eyes. It would be a perfect gift for my friends who have just moved into their own love nest.

It is quite amazing how the little girl (probably around 10 years old) realised what caught my eyes and quickly handed the set to me, and punched the price into a calculator. 1500B! Wow, that was really expensive! I was put off by this rip off, and quickly put the set back. What ensued made me uncomfortable.

“How much you want, tell me”, she held on firmly to my arm. I was quite take aback my this aggressive approach. I just said “No, thank you”, as firmly as I could. “1000B?” “No, thanks. I shook my head and tried to walk away. “750B?500B? Ok, ok 350B.” At this point of time out eye balls almost popped-out of our eye sockets!

Ok, we are poor bargain hunters. Instead of grabbing this relatively good dead (I am sure she could offer 250B as well), we shook our head, said our “No, thank you and walked off”. We are more indignant about the rip off than recognising the good bargain. Oh no, we failed to apply the basic principles of negotiation!

Read more about my experience in Damnoen Saduak:

  1. Damnoen Saduak: The colourful floating market

  2. Alfresco dining at Damnoen Saduak

  3. Visiting Damnoen Saduak in a James Bond boat





No comments: