Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"Toured" Wales........and hung on to my dear life

I was sick when we visited Wales. Hubby was unwell too. MS joked that we caught the Amsterdam virus, which is very potent.

I was so tired, after a few days of massive political maneuvers in the office when I left for Wales. It was practically Tai Chi vs bullets and arrows. I probably did not sleep well, or too "konk out" because of the cold. I could barely keep my eyes open, sleeping through most part of the car trip. I need SH to shake me and hubby to yell before I would open my eyes to look at something. It didnt help that Wales was totally grey!!!! It was misty/foggy and grey. We could tell that the landscape was beautiful, but nothing would look nice in photos if they are grey.

Thankfully, we went with MS & SH, who I think are really nice people, and very accommodating to the fact that we are both unwell. We spent a lot of time in the car, doing a very "tour group" like tour... most of the time sitting in a car, get down at spots to sight see, and off we go again.

There goes my adventurous Brecon Beacon trip. Only 1 morning was spent trekking, but that was probably one of the biggest adventure in my life. The last day was unforgettable. I had a narrow brush with death.

We felt better that morning, and did the waterfall trek. We decided to do a challenging route. I had no worries, apart from the fact that we were not well equipped.

Probably because I had slipped and fell hard before, and probably because I was very tired that morning and my running shoes was slippery, I had panic attack at a narrow, slippery part of the cliff after a few slips. In the middle of nowhere, where one wrong footing would send me down a cliff at least 7-8 stories high, my legs turned jelly. It is not funny when you are at a very dangerous part of a cliff where sure, strong footing is required and your legs turn wobbly. That affects your balance, and you could easily say sayonara to your life. I was hanging on to dear life by holding onto the roots of trees, and after resting at the "widest part" of the section. At the widest section, it at most 1 metre between a hard wall and a cliff. While sitting there and talking myself out of my panic attack, I knew that if my bum slip off the sloppy and slippery ground I was sitting on, I could spend a 2-3seconds as superwoman. Then, I will claim my fame.

I clawed and crawled my way back to safer ground. All the time, I asked hubby to get away from me, because I was much more panicky with him around. I thought if I slip and he tries to hold on to me, we would both slip. I am no featherweight material.

Haiz, despite my panic, I was still able to sigh to myself that it is clear that I am that kind that wont pull people down when I fall-loser. Like that how to survive in life? I think I am only suited for 1 job: Rich Tai Tai. hahaha. I know my brother will read this and sigh "useless", but there is a saying which is once bitten twice shy. I still have a nice scar on my left knee, courtesy of slipping off a very hilly part of the campus.

No comments: