Sunday, October 07, 2007

This world do have thieves- and the travel insurance was useless

I was not feeling very well that day, but decided to go for a walk anyway. I did not have much choices- since I have already checked out of the hotel. Somehow, I felt that I better split my wallet into 2. I think that if you feel not well or look tired, thieves will spot you from a mile! These were sharks after your blood!

I think I must have lost my small wallet within 1-2 hours of leaving the hotel most-likely while taking the tube or while I went to the toilet. No one else had been in contact or near me. I was walking around in the park opposite the palace and at the Royale square. I called hubby immediately. Luckily it was a relatively small "loss". Imagine if my real wallet was taken! Just a couple of credit cards, my name cards some cash and the metro ticket. The leather wallet was probably the most expensive thing. Tried to walk around following the "politie" sign, which are obvious in all tourist areas, but the signs seemed to lead me nowhere. So, I gave up and rested in at the small park at Sablon square-wasnt feeling well again, but did not dare to let my guard down.

At last, found a police station at the Midi station- the eurostar terminal. There was a big group of Thai students. Someone lost a laptop, and a policeman was busy telling them the do's and don't in Brussels. Apparently, at least 10 laptops will be reported lost each day, on average, just in that station alone! The thieves are really efficient and employ many tactics to get hold of these things. The group of kids were going "wow", as they were told not to answer anyone who ask them questions, not to stop or look at interesting things, like people fighting, quarelling etc etc etc etc...

Then, my turn to file the report. Both the policeman and I agreed that I was quite "lucky" in that sense- could have lost more. Brussels have lots of problems with petty crimes in the past couple of years. I was asked to recall what I did between when i last use the wallet and when i found it missing. It narrowed now to two suspects- the pregnant woman with 2 kids- 1 in a pram who needed more "space" as she squeezed past me when i got out of the toilet at the metro station, and the woman sitting next to me at the metro. Those were the only two places where someone could have been near me. The police man was quite sure it was the pregnant woman! Pregnant woman with pram and kids are frequently the culprits!!! Wow!!! He reminded me to claim back from my travel insurance...

My moods were lifted.. but when I return home, and read the "schedule"... TMD... full of "excess" conditions! cash-£50, travel documents £50, purse/wallet £50... blah blah blah.. every single item has at least £50 excess. Grrrrr..... This travel insurance from the company have not given me a single compensation yet- whether it is my flight delay (it did not qualify, as this package only give you £20 for every 12 hour of delay) of lost of stuff. From the terms and condition, my biggest hope is when I am dead, where I will receive £10,000 or when I permanently lose all my limbs £20,000. I am starting to think that this insurance package is an insult to my value as an individual. Am I so worthless??? After these incidences, I think we should all go back and read about how our value to the company should we die while traveling, and then decide whether we need a separate travel insurance!

No comments: