Saturday, June 24, 2006

I had a thirsty, free, facial!

I redeemed my facial at Cannons yesterday.

What a surprise!

These Brits really know how to make use of ancient buildings. The gym cum spa was converted from an old steel factory building, next to the river Thames, and there are real cannons located outside this spa called “Cannons”. :)

I always thought spas reflect the culture of a country very much. After all, this is what people expect to get from pampering, ie REWARD. So, different cultures would be different.

If you go to a Japanese thing, the first thing you get when you enter is tea. Asians, at least Japanese and Chinese will definitely serve you tea, the moment you get there. It is hospitality; basic politeness. You get other varieties in Bangkok and other places, but you will definitely get something. And you take off different amounts of clothings in different countries for massages and facial, that again reflect the culture.

My first impression, is British is invaded by Eastern European. My therapist in another Eastern European.

This is my experience and “take home points” from my facial yesterday:

1. No water/tea/liquid whatever given to you. You are getting a facial, not drinks.
The answer? “Thirsty? There is nothing I can do for you. I am going to start now.” It was a warm day, and I walked a while to get there. By the time I got to the treatment room, I felt really thirsty! (I tend to get delayed thirst here, because even when you sweat, you don’t feel wet).

When the therapist ask me, “Are you ok?” I said, “How long with the treatment last? I feel really thirsty.”

The answer? "Thirsty? There is nothing I can do for you".

Since I was half naked, there was nothing I could do for myself as well.

2. Take off your socks!
Yup. I only took of my shoes. Little did I know that she would massage my feet for a while, to “relax” me. That was nice. Warm towel infused with aromatherapy oils on tired feet = HEAVENS!!!

When the session was over, I was shocked to see 1 of my socks (which she took off), lying on my branded handbag (my one and only branded handbag, which my super stingy SO bought to compensate for not taking me to US), and the other sock flung to a corner of the room.

My experience of living with Eastern Europeans enlighted me that they have no concept at all that the feet is not considered very clean. That is why you have people putting your used socks on your nice bag.

If I am not being used to getting shocked about what my housemates put right next to their shoes (freshly washed undies, put on a radiator, with the undies touching their smelly shoes), and where they would put your shoes, I would have been quite mad. Oh ya, my housemates also "borrowed" my plastic basin which was meant for handwashing my lingerie to soak their athlete feet!!!

3. The “aromatherapy” here is much more intense!
Much better quality oils, I suppose, and more generous amounts? I got four varieties oils added to my treatment- ylang ylang, lavender, rosewood, and lime. The lime was fantastic!

4. Massage skill of therapist?
Really reall
y so so. She tried to do some acupressure, but it did not hit the points. I was pretty annoyed.

5. No extractions
No extractions, but I think the Elemis scrub and peel she used was good. Most of the large black heads are gone!

6. No hard sell.
Yup, no hard sell. That is the best part. My experience in some Singapore “spas” including having a “manager” going through packages with me as my extractions are done.

The facial was so-so. I must say the products and concepts are good, with "relaxation" stuff life warm towels, deep breathing thrown in to make me comfortable. That was great, but I would have been a very happy girl if she had given me a cup of water.

Post facial, she tried to introduce me to her products, but I did not really listen. I was just hurrying off to go and get a cup of water!

How to get free facial? If you are in UK, join www.nectar.com. The introductory period points are huge!

No comments: