Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Floating market in Damuen Saduak. Should you join group tours?

Among the tours around Bangkok, we have always put off going to the floating market, because of the distance and the varying reviews received. I have joined a half-day tour, and been-there-done-that recently. I think the floating market is a MUST see. Not only that, you must see it fast. Damuen Saduak is the last surviving real floating market largely beacuse of the distance away from Bangkok, which in a way discourage tourists from heading there.

The disadvantage of a tour group
I joined a larget group tour, and honestly if you have the money, do otherwise. Get a private guide and have a private tour. The reason is simple. You can get there earlier, and spend time enjoying the real stuff; not stopping half an hour in a 'coconut factory' which is just a tourist trap. I don't mind the trap if it is after the visit to the floating market, but it was before!

Therefore, I reached there around 10:30 am. The sun was hot, and the real action ie the locals doing their daily marketing was over. What I saw was mainly tourists. Although it was a little over the top, I just could not stop slapping myself with sunblock. The sun was practically grilling me!

Despite this, the tour was still amazing, and I have no complains. Afterall, 700B for this experience and the sights was more than worth it!

We took a James Bond boat (long tail boat) from the jetty to the market.
As we travel along the klong, we had an interesting glimpse of the life along the waterways. We saw a young couple having some TLC time- bathing together infront of their house in the klong. It was the 'best moment' for us, and I could see people clicking their cameras away, but perhaps the "worse" for the couple. Yes, people bath in the water ways. I also saw middle-aged women doing their laundry, and getting a bath at the same time. And there were also children standing along the klong, waiting for our boat to pass so that they can jump in for their fun time!

That is their way of life
Our tour guide kept reminding us- a bunch of tourists from Singapore, Hong Kong , UK, US etc to not feel sad or ask 'how could these people live this way?' That is their way of life for generations, and they are happy! I am sure they are, esp if people like us stop disrupting their life with the noisy long tail boats.

Rich man poor man in the same neighbourhood
The klong is basically a 'street'. I saw "rich man's house "- built with brick with nice verandah and big engine powered boats in the "porch", and I also identified the "poor man's house" - practically empty, made of wood and attap, and had a small rickety sampan in the "porch".Yes, it is a neighbourhood street. You see grocery shops along it, and people stopping infront of these shops in their car-equivalent(boat) to buy things too!. That is a 'drive through service'? I tried to picture McDonalds opening shop there. ha ha...

I could see some of them are pretty well off, with the trappings of modern lifestyle. However, instead of a car, I saw boats 'parked' in the 'porch'. I also saw washing machines-with both the inlet and outlet hose dipped into the klong waters.

Private vs group tour?
If you are travelling from Singapore, I think I saw a great deal from Asia Travel, starting from 500B/person for a half day tour. Otherwise, I suggest checking out the private tour companies in Bangkok to hire a guide! I think it is worth it to pay slightly more and spend more time there. Afterall, private guided tour in Bangkok is among the cheapest in the world.

I will write more about about the market itself next. Stay "book-marked"!

No comments: