Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Other household things to shop about!

My biggest regrets (what I did not buy.. or did not buy enough)
Most of these are handicrafts unique to Thailand.

1) Scented candles-- those that can float in water to create a spa like ambience. It costs only around 100B, (you can bargain to 70 or 80B) for 10. Can get at night market , MBK or JJ.

2) Chopsticks set: They have this very nicely lacqured sets. I guess I was really put off by the girls attitude and missed a good bargain. It was an intricate set, and she offered me 3200B (wow!). I told her no way, and she offered 1500B. I was really appalled and the she would let me have it at 750B. I was more shocked than anything by then... she offered me 350B. Shucks... I should have bought it!!!! It is so much more beautiful that those sets which go for more than 20-30SGD!!

3) Water feature: I was lazy to bring them back, cos they could be quite heavy. But now that I am not there I realised that you get better choices there!

4) Towels: This is so 'auntie'; but the stalls in JJ are main distributors for towels! You get really good quality and nice towels there! We bought from a corner shop and each towel was around 200B (did not bargain). The towels turned up to be much better than those that I obtained in Singapore ... for only about 50% of the price here.

5) Lamps: Yes, lamps! Again, lazy to carry and hoped that the designs will be here soon. It never arrived. If you cannot get the whole thing, just get the lampshades and use it to replace your cheap and common table lamp from IKe* :)

6) Paintings, art pieces : there are so many creative things there.. things that you do not see out of Thailand yet. There is something that will definitely make you feel like buying! I fell in love with the salt and pepper sets. Check out those pewter sets!

7) Fine ceramics: Yes, they have really good ones there. You can get this at SL might market and MBK too. I was really attracted to the ''bowl'' like thing, but decided not to buy when suddenly reminded that it look like an urn holder... hmmm have been watching too many horror shows

hint: Thinking of getting a gift for someone? Bangkok is a handicraft haven. There are so much variety in Thailand, and at a cheap price. I suggest you check handicraft websites such as Productthailand.com or other sites in the internet. See what are the pieces that your friends/family like. These sites also frequently list the places where you can get the products, and give you more information about it.

No comments: