Saturday, September 24, 2005

Thai massage- just what I need now!

I want a good massage, a really good massage. I wish I am at a spa somewhere out there (Hua Hin will be nice!!) I am aching all over the past two weeks, thanks to my arthritis!

Images of spas start to float in my head and I think I am getting schizophrenic about spas and massages. Hua Hin, Banyan Tree Resort, The Datai...... wow! The Davis at Bangkok will be a good boutiques hotel choice too. Heard that they have a good spa!

You see, I am a sucker for a good massage, anytime but esp when my arthiritis and perhaps fibro was flaring up. Bangkok did what my doctors could not do. Yes, I spent a week in Bangkok and I got better! I did what most doctors who frown about. And I would not advise any arthritic to do what I did, it may really make you worse. Thai massage is not 'gentle massage'!

They offer awfully cheap and good quality massage in Bangkok. I remember getting the herbal massage in Wat Pho. It was painful in certain places when the massuer work on it. However, I had a nice distraction; I really enjoyed observing the Thais observing the caucasians or farangs. To see a petite lady working a man twice her size into a grimace is something that is funny? I am not sure, but I was surely amused. This 'entertainment' made me more relaxed.

When you are more relaxed during the massage and do not 'resist' the deep pressure your masseur is applying, the pain is less. I have also to learned to breath in and out based on the rhythm the massuer applied. Yes, I suspect that there is a rhythm. And you can see these small bodies actually rock with each pressure applied to intensify the strength. No wonder a Thai massage is supposed to be a 'dancelike' thing. You are expected to coordinate with your massuer and focus on the massage you are getting . If you do this, which I eventually learned and achieved, you get in to a very relaxed and almost meditative state.



At Wat Pho, they do not advise a daily massage, but I was just too much in pain and my muscles had tensed-up and bunch up like rocks. I am every massuer's night mare.

Thank goodness, I only need to spend about 300-400B daily, and I get 1-2 hours of massage everyday. I had alternate days in Wat Pho (I doubt they will entertain me daily, and I could explain to them why I needed everyday, since we did not speak a common language), and at the shop opposite my hotel.

Thai massage do wonders to your legs, especially your thighs. They cleverly bend your legs to different angles to reach those deep tissues. Painful at first, but it worked wonders. By the second or third massage, I could feel the muscles around my hips, knees and ankles loosen up. The hard knots or bands also dissapeared. I could not achieve the same effects with my regular Tui Na (chinese style massage), and also the Javanese massage, Balinese massage and Swedish massage.

The traditional Thai massage concentrate more on legs and the back. If your shoulders are killing you, I suggest getting an oil or aroma massage at your hotel spa or some more touristy place. I realised that these massuer pay more attention to head, shoulder and wrists, perhaps due to their experience with tourists. Those really 'traditional' places will work your legs and back more and less on your shoulder or wrists. They are particularly great after lots of walking. Is it due to the fact that 'traditionally, most people use these muscles more?

Whatever pain you have, try your best to communicate to them. Language may be a barrier, but i realised that most of them are really keen to help, and will look at whichever part you point to to examine and check whether you are in pain. After all, Thai massage is supposed to be a branch of medicine and you will notice that those massuers in Wat Pho and some other places will actually put their hands together and 'mumble' something before starting the massage. I am told that they are asking for their 'medicine deity' for clarity of mind to focus on 'healing' their 'patient' and also pray for your 'wellness'.

Got to end here... my arthritis is killing me again . I need a Thai massage ! ( not body masage).

No comments: