Monday, September 12, 2005

Why do I avoid travelling in August?- A story on supersition

August usually coincides with the 7th lunar month. Come to HK, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia in the 7th lunar month and you will see a lot of things burning, and I am not just talking about forest fires. You will see people burning joss sticks and paper money on the road sides. Even the authorities of squeky clean Singapore will just turn a blind eye about it (the locals call it 'close one eye') , for these are the offerings for the dead.

The hungry ghosts, the departed souls who came back for a 'visit' when the hell gate opens. Some people believes accidents (especially the WEIRD ones) happen more often. Well, I am not too sure about it. Why be scared about these hungry ghosts? Hungry people are more dangerous, esp the man who is hungry for power, money or fame!

So, why don't I travel? Pick your choice.
1) I am schizophrenic
2) I am 'sensitive' to these things

Most Asian cultures refer to haunted places as 'not clean', and I am a 'not clean place' detector. I was a totally 'scientific' young girl who believed everything could be explained by science. Well, life experiences changed the perception. I have now accepted that I somehow have too many uncanny coincidences about feeling ''uncomfortable'' in certain places. These include murder scenes, and a guest house which I suspected was the place where the Japanese used to torture the local men and raped the women.

In the 7th month, it is believed that most places will not be too 'clean', particularly hotels! Don't believe me?

Check out when most tourist hotels offer start their offers in places like BKK, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan and Singapore! For 2005, you just have to look at the prices offered for Phuket related hotels and flights. Up to 70% discounts!

Well, the 7th month had just passed. I think Asians are pretty obsessed with warding off 'evils', that there is a full range of 'tricks' and charms which are supposed to work. Do these really work or is it just pure psychology? I am not sure. One trick surely worked for me. Let's talk about it in the next blog!

A kind friend had sent me an email about ghost protection in hotels. I found the advise sensible and added it here.

No comments: