Friday, July 28, 2006

Giving up seat index (GUSI)

Today, I my knee was aching. I thought I was in good luck to get a seat in the train. Well, if you get on the first station, you get the seat don’t you?

However, my luck ran out a few stations later.

An old couple walked over from the next coach. The old woman was holding a cane, with obviously wobbly knees. They were walking from the next coach to mine, hoping to get a seat. I got up immediately to give seat to old lady, and held her steady as she tried to lower herself down. It took some glaring and frowning before someone a few seats away got up and give the seat to the old man.


People’s reactions when the old couple walk pass them, without a seat??? Look out of window, read newspapers, and immediately fall "asleep".
What did the young guy sitting next to me do? Happily sitting there.

I wonder if I will end up at the police station for kicking a guy like him some day.

Instead of all those reader's digest ranking of the most honest city, quality of life living index and the latest favourite GINI index, maybe one day we should have a Giving Up Seat Index (GUSI). That will be a measure of whether the city citizens still have a HEART, and an indication of whether you could grow up in that place.

No comments: