Sunday, July 09, 2006

My free Haircut from Toni and Guy Academy London!!

Have you ever been a model?

I risk my future and my happiness to have my hair cut by a "trainee" at Toni and Guys.

It was scary. When I booked my appointment, the gal told me to allow 3 hours. In my mind, I imagine a kid with trembling scissors nipping my hair off, and the trainer having to "save" me eventually by giving me a "short and sassy" haircut.

The place is just near Centre Point, near the British Museum. In fact, I thought that if my mum comes here, I will bring her to the museum, and when she got totally bored and tired, she can "rest" and get a hair cut. She can then brag about that haircut in London.

When I announced my arrival at the reception, they told me to wait. I noticed other "models". Many pretty gals. Young, and pretty, and slim. Perfect. There is only one other fat woman with long hair, and she was equally nervous! We made small talk to reassure ourselves, and I told her where I got that coupon. Then, in come a Hong Kong-ish "si-lai": that kind that you will see on tv, buying things from market, choosing a fat chicken for the dinner cos her future DIL is coming. Gosh, her hair was a flat, grey and cut in an old fashioned bob style. I immediately told myself that I will never look like that 30-40 years later. Gosh, can something be done for her, in terms of hair?

After loitering for a while, some stylists invited us upstairs. Everyother model had been picked up by a "student", except me and the other fat woman. I was thinking: Round face =challenging?

After a while, a handsome guy came to me and introduced himself as Carl. He was very young, and I was thinking eh... dont tell me I am unlucky enough to get a "basic" level trainee.

After doing a consultation about my lifestyle, previous haircuts, my likes/dislikes and what I "hope"to get "today", he suggested some styles, and discussed them with me. then he told me to wait a while, so that he could get his trainer. He repeated everything that I said to his trainer.

His trainer checked that I agreed with him, but did not agree about how to cut my fringe. He suggested making it ASYMETRIC! Was I keen to try? Why not???

Carl then had to tell his "trainer" what he planned to do, which part he will start to cut first, and how long it will be. He seemed to get everything right, except the EXACT length. The trainer wanted it to be about 1 cm shorter to take into account my curls and my face shape.

The cutting was quite slow. At first, I was nervous at the way Carl seemed to measure and measure and measure. I was wondering how good he was. But as soon as he took his first "cut", I knew he was good! Everything was "measured" and checked again by the trainer at the end of each step.

I was in and out of sleep. About 1 hour later, I was almost done. I did not get that radical asymetric cut to open up my face, as Carl discovered he could make it look even better if he "push" my hair to a side in a certain manner. I was happy. Trainer was happy , and that was it!

I think this is my best hair cut so far.

How about that si-lai??? She looked good after the haircut!!! It was another bob haircut, but somehow she looked updated, and was obviously very very happy.

The other models? They finished earlier than I did, (since a wavy, asian hair like mine was a "challenge") and walked out looking great!!! I did not spot any bad haircuts! Fantastic!

It turned out that most of the "trainees" are already qualified hair stylists, who go there to update and polish their skills.

How did I get this Free haircut?
The tel no to book an appointment is 02-078360606.
Location: at 71-75, New Oxford Street, near the Centre Point building.

You can just call and book. I got a "FREE" coupon from www.thelondoncareers.net magazine, which you could access online, or at popular Tube stations.

With that coupon, you don't have to pay a penny, without it, you pay £5.00 "booking fees"...I got to warn you the advert does not appear on every single issue. I got mine from the 5th June 2006 issue, so if you cant get it, go to the website, look for this issue, and find the coupon on page 9.

Hubby kept on looking at me after my haircut, and I am sure this time it is not because the haircut was bad.

Infact, I myself grabbed every opportunity to look at my own reflections on glasses and mirrors.--> VAIN!!!

Imagine, these were my "criteria"
  • FAT, ie face is ROUND
  • Have limpy hair, that is dropping like crazy, and curling in all sorts of directions
  • not wanting to spend more than 30seconds styling my hair
And yet, they fulfilled it!!!
I looked quite good!!!

If you are spending some time in london, do consider a Free hair cut!!!

P/S: Back to that sunny island now, and people are saying my cut is good. heheheheh....

No comments: