Friday, December 29, 2006

Cotswolds and more shopping

There is something called -Pent up demand.

We have not been buying stuff for pretty much of one whole year! That is really difficult here, considering you have 4 seasons.

On 27tth, we hit Swindon after picking up MS and SH. These two are really shopping gurus, and I must kowtow them for their knowledge of the trade. I really hope that hubby will get influenced and start to understand the art of shopping.

Swindon is a more downscale village compared to Bicester, which means things are more affordable, and you feel less like a failure in life-watching people buying thing by bag loads when you cant afford most of the things. The last time we were there, I almost wished I am gay. Those gays couples seems to have limitless credit card limits.

We bought quite a lot of stuff from Swindon.
Hubby got his a pair of new Nike for less than £20, but he still complained that it is not cheap enough. Difficult to please. His standard is cheap is £5 for a pair of Nike, as the is the price MS and SH managed to get last Boxing day. I also forced him to buy a Gap thing- you know that thing that is long and go around the neck. I know it is scarf for women, but for men- it is really long! He keeps on complaining it is long, "mah fan" etc etc. But is is to keep away the cold!! Darn. At 80% lambswool, you cant even buy that much raw material-yarn for £5(less than 1/3 of original price). If he does not want it anymore, i can tear it apart and knit into many many things. hehe.

Me? I have been really good. RADLEY WAS CHEAP!!! So was TULA! Prices for handbags started from £14! I really had to resist temptation and convince myself that nothing suits me. I got another pair of boots for £20 from Clarks, less than 1/2 price too! :).

Since we are on our own, we needed household stuff! We got a 1/2 price bale of 6-towels from M&S to replace our fungus infested ones. We bought toasters for £5 (will recoup the money from our electricity bills very quickly), a steam cleaner for £15 and finally a mirror from Sainsbury for £4.99!. We went back to Oxford very happy, but very exhausted.

Yesterday we hit Cotswolds again. The guys were very happy as they thought we are done with shopping. Unknown to them Burford is actually a shopping haven. SH got a 100% cashmere jumper for only 40 quid (original price more than £120!). I got a scarf for £14.95, I think the original price was over £40! Hubby insisted I get one as my "pashminas" were bought in HK for about HKD20 each and are getting really worn. I got a nice cream colored one. I think we can share it. He should look quite suave with in in his suit. :)

Then we hit Coventry, on the pretext of visiting the famous Cathedral. Coventry is another shopping haven!! But i supposed we were too tired and out of budget to buy anything there. We were searching all over the place for the Body Shop, but it is a real disappointment. Prices were much more ex than last year's.

I liked the ruined Coventry cathedral. There is something beautiful and sad about it. Hopefully MS will send us the photos soon :)

No comments: