Sunday, December 03, 2006

Life as a tenant-a price to pay to roam the world

"If you want to roam the world, you got to put up with the life as a tenant, ie renting your home."

That is what I have been telling myself, bravely. Sigh.. at one point, I almost cried on my while walking home, thinking how every step would bring me closer to a hell hole, a toxic home which might do unrepairable damage to my health, both in the near future and in years to come.

The mould is still there, and it still bothers me. With the advice of people from CAB, we managed to coaxed/persuade/threatened (haha) landlord to come and check it out and do something about it, and not just push the blame to "the way we live".

It was very clear when they came in, that we live in horrible conditions. Just look at the way his wife and son rubbed their noses!!

They brought along their dehumidifier, and the indicator showed how damp the flat is was! The readiniwas high seventies, when teh humidity outside is only in the sixties! That was with the windows slightly open, and the heaters blasting away.

They also found dampness in the loft, and promised us to call the management of the estate to check it out. They did not give very conclusive answers to what they are going to do with the broken/loose tiles which logs water in the bathroom, and the faulty washing machine. (Typical of LANDLORD, very very unwilling to fork $$$ or £££ for anything!!!)

Hope it will all turn out well. With the dehumidifier cum air purifier on, this place is more livable. I am less itchy, sneezy, and cough less. From last afternoon to the time before we went to bed (about 12), the dehumidifer extracted about 3 litres of water (some our small flat!!), and it is still going crazy trying to extract more. I shudder when I think of the electricity bills. 400W machine, running 24 hours a day. No joke.

No comments: