Saturday, January 27, 2007

Baking in my oven...........Blueberry muffins!!

New life mantra- "can cook= can roam"

I am supposed to be try baking some egg tarts, but ended up doing blueberry muffins because........

  • I cut my thumb-again. 2nd time in 1 month :( - may be i should get a feng shui master and check out the reason for this "loss of blood".

  • I need a good egg tart recipe....most of the recipes i see look very Western-is not my kind. I get angry/irritated when I eat ang moh egg tarts-I dont know why. I just get angry with people adulterating good food generally, but I know I am being unfair this time. It is the Hongkies adapting the egg tarts probably, but they did such a good job that I wonder why people still egg those "egg custard" versions. Ewwwwwww I remember buying those when I really cant take it, and ended up totally pissed off. I want egg tart. i want egg tart. Everyone is laughing at my msn nick, but I want egg tarts!!! And only the version with crispy, flaky crust will do!! I dont like those with "butter shortbread" crusts!!

Until i get my egg tart recipe... the muffins will have to do. Gonna ask my mum for kaya recipe tomorrow. Sigh.....

Blue berry muffins..........

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour-190g
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (150gm)-1/2 cup will do!
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • *1/3 cup vegetable oil(80ml)-tried 70ml. It is ok. next time try 60ml
  • *1/3 cup milk-(80ml)-tried 90ml --- top up these 2 to 160ml
  • 1egg
  • 1 cup fresh/frozen blueberries
  • pinch of cinnamon powder
For the topping
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • Some broken, left over cereal/muesli crumbs

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
  2. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
  3. To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
  4. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 383

  • Total Fat: 16.1g
  • Cholesterol: 43mg
  • Sodium: 341mg
  • Total Carbs: 56.9g
  • Dietary Fiber: 1.5g
  • Protein: 4.3g
using 1/2 pack of the frozen blueberries I bought :) Hope it turn out ok. Will try this recipe next time, because the milk to oil ratio is much higher!!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together milk, egg, and oil. Add flour, baking powder, sugar, and blueberries; gently mix the batter with only a few strokes. Spoon batter into cups.
  3. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

Servings Per Recipe: 12

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 182

  • Total Fat: 7.1g
  • Cholesterol: 19mg
  • Sodium: 98mg
  • Total Carbs: 26.3g
  • Dietary Fiber: 0.7g
  • Protein: 3.4g

No comments: