Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Sam Soon in me...

As I walked down my flat with two bagful of clothes to the laundrette, and depressed with those thoughts about my flat, and how helpless I am because I am in a foreign country with not many friends, I saw the door latch of the entrance to our block unlocked. Angry me decided to confront woman who just came in to tell her off-almost Kim Sam Soon style (the fattiness, and the awkward bags!). I cant believe I really did it!

Everytime I come home at this time of the day, the door is unlocked! Could she please remember to close it properly? She just need to give it a push, and it would lock. Otherwise, everyone could just come in. This building is occupied mostly by women and young children. We just need to so something that is very simple, and everyone would be much safer! A woman is just robbed and murdered 50 metres away from us! We got to spare a thought for everyone's safety!

She apologised, and told me that she saw me coming down, and therefore did not latch it. She was very happy that there is another person watching out for the door. Her flat was burglared last month, and that is why she wrote the notice and stick to the door to remind people to close it! And if the insurance company found that the main door of the block of flat is unlocked, she would not even get any compensation. All our home protection insurance would be void because of this. However, some idiots still dont give a damn!! We ended up having a very friendly chat, and made a pact to really catch all those idiots who dont lock the door to lock it! We are going to watch out for them, and remind them that it is important to give the door that gentle push!

Yeah, we talked about the poor woman who was killed. She knew her. Apparently everyone in this area knows her. She is a very nice, kind lady, the owner of a popular takeaway business.

When I walked past the murdered woman's house to the laundrette, my heart sank. This row of houses look so peaceful, facing busy road. I was very happy when I saw there were 2 other women, and a BIG DOG at the laundrette. I felt safe.

The women were friendly. One of them work for the laundrette. She would close the shop, and she comes in at 6 everyday. Seeing no other worker or owner, I asked her if there is someone else at all in the laundrette. Apparently not. At other times, it is empty!!

Gosh, I said. Then I am glad you are here, and your lovely dog. A woman was just murdered nearby. Scary.

Ohhhhh. they started talking. We all know her. Lovely lady. Apparently, she had been watched, followed from the bus-stop perhaps. That is why these days it feels very uncomfortable whenever a dodgy man walk past. They told me how uncomfortable they were when another man was there.

A man came off a car, and walked pass.... Jasper the dog was all ears. We, the three women in the laundrette, were all eyes. Eying the man approaching carefully, and let off a quiet sigh when he walked next door.

Thank goodness for Jasper's presence. We all felt safer. I just got to pat Jasper. He is really adorable.

More talk on the murder. They reassured me that it is the FIRST murder here. This is a lovely friendly peaceful place. The fact that the 4 suspects were bailed and roaming freely in the community again, makes everyone very uncomfortable. Human rights gone mad.

When a few guys walked pass, the woman locked the door. We all laughed. More conversation about the senseless beatings, these youth gangs.

Robberies take away more than our property. The take away the sense of trust in the community.

1 comment:

ithinkearthisheaven said...

yep its hard to live in foreign country alone