Thursday, November 02, 2006

Copenhagen, a quick 2.5 hours tour

Just came back from a 4 day trip in Copenhagen... but dont envy me yet.

I have
seen nothing much...
done nothing much...
bought NOTHING at all...

I thought I would have almost a whole afternoon to roam around on Saturday, but I ended up having effectively 2.5 hours. Blame it partly on my lack of preparation, and the sudden cold wind that blew. It did not help that that it turns dark around 5:30.

But being a fast walker, I covered MOST of the town in 2.5 hours :)

My 1st stop was a roadside stall selling hotdogs. I was damn hungry, it was 2pm + and the weather quite cold, I bought myself a something that look like a sausage roll for 21 Kroner near Tivoli gardens. Yummy!!!

I was ill prepared, so my 2nd stop was the tourist information center-cool, free computers to access tourist info!!-- and maps to get an orientation of the place.


Seen parts of Stroget, the famed pedestrian shopping street, and Nyhaven in dusk. It was a cobbled narrow street, with a mix of designer stores and those stores selling a mumbo jumbo of things targeted at tourists. I began to get "waylaid" by those window displays, and got worried about parting a thousand or two kroners if I really fall madly in love with those shoes (I think Danes make great shoes and bags!!), or worse still, one of those designer household stuff. Danish design is not famed for nothing!!

After walking for about 100-200m (maybe more??), down the street, I noticed a crowd on a side street. Hmmm.. Crowd=something interesting or trouble. Both sounds "interesting!" to me . Hahaa.


And surprise!!! I got what I was looking for "accidentally". I had been cursing myself for not bringing a map to find .

So, imagine my happiness when I realised.. it was ...This place!!!!





That lace was packed with people, and I really felt like a kid in a candy store. I had been standing in the counter for about 10 minutes before realizing that you need to get a queue number for a machine, and wait till you get called before appearing at the counter. No wonder people gave me funny looks! Aw.... My only consolation was I was not alone. Many people were like that too, so excited with those cakes on the display that they did not notice the machine for the queue number. It did not help that the instructions was written in Danish!





Shortlisted the above two cakes....

And settled for the "Sports Cake" (Sportskage)


The Applesinkage... well, you might have guess it-- Apple cake.

WRONG!!! It is actually orange cake!!! That looked terribly yummy too. But as I was alone, I could only choose one, and settled for the more "famous" cake. these are the times I miss my sister and my sister gang terribly. If I got the gals with me, we would have bought 1 piece of everything!!

the cake was packed nicely in paper box and and paper bag which I planned to bring back. However, these got totally messed up by the strong wind while I was attempting to eat the cake in a courtyard of some impressive looking building. What a shame, my lack of preparation means I dont know what it was. Possibly a museum???

Back to the cake. I learned that to the Danes, creams dont necessarily have to play a layering or decorative purpose in a cake. It can make up the cake almost entirely by itself!!!!! That was a most sinful cake, and damn difficult to eat. I could not finish it to last drops, as it keep dropping of the paper which was holding it, and I had bits of cream on the corners of my mouth, cheeks, hair and also coat. At first, I was busy wiping myself, but I soon gave up when I realise that the wind would keep blowing flapping bits of the paper which held the cake onto my face/coat, so I might as well "concentrate" on finishing the task on hand.

This is all that I could "bring back"- A photo of the paper bag.

I got to stop at the cake.. as it is 1 am in the morning, and I am damn sleepy.
Continue about finishing bottles of wine, drinking beer in a pub (I am a BADDDDD gal.... haha), and ogling good looking people whizzing pass in bicycles

ciao!!!


By the way... it is getting very very cold in london.

I got to walk to work in a 2C!!! Thank goodness I invested in a coat and tights!!!

No comments: